Tuesday, 19 June 2012
Blog 2-2 Forces and Competition
I have to admit that before this assignment, I've never even looked at Mountain Equipment Co-op's website before. I will say though that I am very, VERY, impressed with how the company is run. There were several things that MEC does in its organizational environment that caught my eye.
For those of you that don't know, Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) is a store that specializes in outdoor activities. From camping equipment, to mountain climbing gear; canoes to hiking boots, MEC has it all.
Obviously, since MEC is all about the outdoors, they are constantly trying to improve the environment. By being involved in various charities, MEC is able to leave their mark in the environment, in a good way of course. The one charity that I really liked was the "1% for the Planet" charity. This charity makes sure that every time a person purchases something at MEC, 1% of the pre-tax total goes to Canadian environmental causes. Since 1987, MEC has donated an excess $17 million to Canadian conservation projects, thanks to this wonderful charity. Being in touch with the environment is huge nowadays, and the fact the MEC is going to such great efforts in order to save the planet shows what kind of company they are. (A great one!)
Another big aspect of MEC is the way they treat their customers and employees. After reviewing the website, it's obvious MEC cares greatly for their customers, and provides them with benefits to continue a life-long relationship. The customers at MEC are also part owners. The fact that MEC lets their customers get so involved with the company helps the customers feel more empowered and valuable to the organization. But besides MEC treating their customers like King's and Queen's, MEC strives to provide their employees with only the best working conditions, with reasonable pay, and legal working hours. By having both happy customers and employees, MEC has a strong foundation to continue growing as a profitable company.
MEC is always working towards their environmental and ethical goals; they believe that they should focus on the issues behind the company in order to be successful. For example, one of MEC'S ethical goals is the well-being of their suppliers. They follow an ethical sourcing program that ensures that its supplier workers are not in violation with any workers and human rights. By taking initiative to prevent future programs in the workplace, you can tell MEC is a company that values accountability.
After seeing all the great things that MEC has done, and will continue to do, I think that they as a company are doing an excellent job managing their opportunities and challenges. By being an organization that values employee and customer input, the organization will remain profitable, as all the needs of the organization are being fulfilled. Also, by continuing to reduce their environmental footprint, the company will always be respected by its consumers and other organizations'.
I know that after looking at the website, I'm definitely going to check out MEC more often! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment