I've been in the workforce since I was only 14 years old. Most people don't end up getting a job until they're 16 or older, but I was lucky enough to start working at a very young age. My first job was at a portrait studio. My sister, who is 8 years older than I am, had a job as a Photographer there and had been working for a little over a year. In the year since she started working she became very close with her boss; her boss knew me personally, which was lucky for me when I wanted a job and she had one to offer. (Since she already knew me, it was easy for her to hire me.) It was around the Christmas season when I started working there, and I only started out doing basic jobs; ex: answering phones, filling paper trays, cleaning the studios etc. I was only working there for 3 months before I was promoted to Photographer. Working with my sister and a boss who I considered a friend was one of the best experiences I've ever had. My boss was a real down to earth people person; she always had something sweet to say and made you feel comfortable even in normally awkward situations. Needless to say, I got off very easy since my first boss was just wonderful; but it didn't stay that way for long...
I've had many other jobs since my first one, and have experienced a wide variety of managers. I've had managers who are nice, caring, and fun to be around, and I've also had managers that are incredibly rude, thoughtless, and only care about making money. I try to only remember the good ones that I've had because these were the people who actually made going to work fun and enjoyable. I've noticed that most of my terrible managers were present in the early years of working; (except of course my first boss). I think that this is because nowadays, more people are realizing that a good manager is one of the most important aspects of a company. Managers today seem to be more laid back and easier to talk to; I feel that being able to talk to your boss is EXTREMELY important in the success of both the company, and the employee's work performance. How is a person supposed to do their best if they don't have someone they can go to when they have a question, issue, or need a little guidance? Managers today seem to be much more involved in their employees personal lives as well, and this helps break the barrier of being a manager, and being a friend. The job I currently work at now is at kiosk at a mall, and there are only 3 of us there. I find that the smaller work group helps keep us more personally connected and also helps may manager get the one-on-one time with both of us. My current manager is probably the best I've ever had, and it's because she is the type of person who really cares about what I think, and listens to me when needed. She encourages us to make decisions on our own, and change things if we think it will better our sales. Empowerment and encouragement is huge in today's workforce. More and more employees are getting to make decisions on their own without managerial approval. As an employee who has this privilege, I feel like I am more than just an employee, and that my ideas and opinions actually matter as an individual. Empowerment makes all employees feel more useful, which gives them a sense of pride and accomplishment.
Looking back to when I first started working, I noticed that a lot of managers used to do things exactly by the book. Managers in the past seemed to be stricter and less tolerable to mistakes. These types of managers were unaware of the methods used today to lead people into success. There are 4 Functions of Management (as noted in my textbook: Essentials of Contemporary Management) and these functions are as listed : Planning, Organizing, Leading, and Controlling. "The job of management is to help an organization make the best of its resources to achieve its goals." (Essentials of Contemporary Management pg. 7) In order to successfully manage a group of people, a manger has to follow these four guidelines in moderation. Too much of one or too little of another could be the point of failure or success.
Managers today are more personal and in-touch with their employees. Companies and experts have realized that a successful manager is someone who can connect with their employees and make them feel like they are part of the actual company, not just another person to make money. This realization has helped managers change how they act, and in my opinion it's for the better.
If I were to prepare to be a future manager I would do a number of different things, but the first and foremost thing to do would be to finish my diploma at SAIT. I would also take the time to ask different managers that I look up to what makes them so successful, and if they could give me any tips for the future. Learning and researching famous leaders and mangers would be beneficial to my future plans, and of course learning and growing as an individual will help me blossom in who it is I'm supposed to be.
Thanks for reading! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment